Calling All Artists! Public Artists in Residence (PAIR) Applications Are Open
MFTA Members and Community,
Materials for the Arts is pleased to share information regarding an important opportunity for artists. The NYC Department of Cultural Affairs has launched the open call for the 2022-2023 cycle of the Public Artists in Residence (PAIR) program. Established in 2015, PAIR was inspired by artist Mierle Laderman Ukeles' residency with the Department of Sanitation, which she pioneered in the 1970s. Based on the idea that artists are creative problem-solvers, the program embeds artists in City agencies to propose and implement solutions to pressing civic challenges. The residency provides artists with $40,000 in funding. The following City agencies are each seeking to host a PAIR artist for the 2022-2023 cycle:
- NYC Department of Design and Construction seeks an artist to dive into NYC street excavations, exploring what happens below the surface and the roadway reconstruction that follows.
- NYC Department of Homeless Services is interested in partnering with a PAIR to help reframe how New Yorkers think about the experience of homelessness.
- NYC Office for the Prevention of Hate Crimes hopes to collaborate with an artist to memorialize the unheard stories of our city, reorient discussions on hate violence, and serve as a bridge between communities.
- NYC Health + Hospitals seeks an artist to play a critical role in bringing the agency's communication concerning gun violence to a larger audience to create meaningful public dialogue.
Visit nyculture.submittable.com/submit to learn more about each of these unique opportunities and to apply; the deadline is 11:59 PM on Friday, July 22, 2022.
Each PAIR residency lasts a minimum of one year, and selected artists will have demonstrated experience in socially engaged art or collaborative art practice addressing social and political issues relevant to the host agency. The residency awards artists with $40K in funding, and artists working in all media and disciplines are welcome to apply. If you have questions after reading the open call and guidelines, you can review the PAIR FAQs or send an email to PAIR@culture.nyc.gov. Learn more about current and past PAIR placements on the Cultural Affairs website.
Materials for the Arts | Website
Materials for the Arts is a program of
Materials for the Arts | 33-00 Northern Boulevard, Long Island City, NY 11101
Public Artists in Residence (PAIR) Applications Are Open
- Brooklyn Women's Writing Group (August 1st, 15th, 29th Free), https://www.eventbrite.com/e/brooklyn-womens-writing-group-tickets-38353...
COVID-19 Freelance Artist Resources This list is specifically designed to serve freelance artists, and those interested in supporting the...
NYWIFT Emergency Resource Directory Now and as always, the health, safety, and well-being of our incredible community remains our to...
A Guide to COVID-19 and Your Finances: What You Need to Know As the novel coronavirus continues to infect people across the nation, ...